History of the Structure: The Jail building is 22 x 20 feet. Exterior walls are made of locally quarried cut sandstone blocks atop an uncut rubble stone foundation. Exterior walls extend above the low slope roof on three sides, forming a parapet wall that steps downward from the front to the back of the building.
The front of the Jail has two openings, one door and one window, both covered with hinged metal bars. On the upper front façade is a non-historic wooden painted sign reading “TOWN OF PROSPECT HEIGHTS INCORPORATED 1905.” The north and south façades have no openings. An original window opening on the west façade has been infilled with CMU block material.
The building’s interior has three main rooms: the front office and two jail cells at the rear. The perimeter walls have been faced with common red brick to which a plaster material was directly applied. The original green paint color is visible in many areas. Each jail cell opening is framed with wood trim that was once painted. Cell doors are iron bars with a sheet metal panel.